Master of Science in COMPUTER ENGINEERING
The advances in computer technology have added new fuel to the development of almost all of the science and engineering applications. Because of its role in the improvement of civilization it became a separate engineering profession. In today's age of information computer engineering is one of the main branches of engineering that contribute through professional services towards more prosperous and sustainable society.
The vision of the Department of Computer Engineering is to be a department whose graduates are highly preferred in worldwide IT industry and to gain a leadership position in Albania and Balkans.
The mission of the Department of Computer Engineering is to educate the students to gain an understanding of the fundamentals of science and engineering so that they can develop solutions to Computer Engineering problems and enhance their skills on computer science, computer architecture, design and analysis of algorithms, software engineering communication and research skills. It is aimed to especially emphasize teamwork, independent and innovative thinking and leadership qualities. In particular, the Computer Engineering Program aims to:
Train the students to have theoretical background in basic sciences and engineering and to be equipped with necessary technical skills,
Develop students' competency in reading, writing and oral communication,
Provide practical experience which will enable students to utilize and enhance their engineering knowledge,
Promote students' self-discipline and self-assurance and the ability to learn on their own,
Encourage team work, collaboration and development of interpersonal skills,
Motivate the students towards contributing to the progress of science and technology,
Teach the importance of ethical behavior in social and professional life,
Produce graduates for the engineering and the business communities who are observant, inquisitive and open to new technologies for developing better solutions,
Produce graduates for the engineering and business communities with integrity, determination, judgment, motivation, ability and education to assume a leadership role to meet the demanding challenges of the society.
Program and Job opportunities
Computer Engineering program is based on four year American Bachelor Degrees. The first year of the program is dedicated to the study of basic sciences and mathematics which provide the student with engineering fundamentals. The second and third year are mainly composed of basic engineering courses besides fundamental courses of computer engineering. Summer practice at the end of the second and third year, and courses at the last year aim to provide a Computer Engineering perspective to students.
Curriculum of the program includes elective courses, which give an opportunity to students to improve their professional skills according to their interests. Some of them are nontechnical and free elective courses, the remaining are computer engineering electives. The requirements for a Diploma in Computer Engineering include the completion of minimum of 240 ECTS credits of formal course work and 60 days of approved practical training.
In the global industry, there is a strong demand for Computer Engineers particularly those who combine technical skills with good communication skills and team-work ability. Some but not all of the job opportunities can be summarized as follows:
Working for companies such as banks, airline industries, government departments, consulting companies, and computer organizations that run large computer based systems, and firms specifying computer equipment for a certain application,
Implementing data communication systems and Internet technologies,
Designing and developing hardware components and interface cards for computer systems,
Managing and working in high level software development projects,
Maintaining and administering distributed databases and corporate local area networks.
In their careers our graduates will,
- work productively as Computer Engineers, including supportive and leadership roles on multidisciplinary teams,
- communicate effectively, recognize and incorporate societal needs and constraints in their professional endeavors, and practice their profession with high regard to legal and ethical responsibilities,
- engage in life-long learning, such as graduate study, to remain current in their profession and be leaders in our technological society.
Students in the Computer Engineering program should, at the time of their graduation, be in possession of:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, probability & statistics, computer science, and engineering as it applies to the fields of computer software and hardware,
- an ability to design and construct a hardware and software system, component, or process to meet desired needs, within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health & safety, manufacturability, and sustainability,
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams,
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve hardware and software problems using computer engineering principles,
- an understanding of professional, legal, and ethical issues and responsibilities as it pertains to computer engineering,
- an ability to effectively communicate technical information in speech, presentation, and in writing,
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of computing in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context,
- a recognition of the need for an ability to engage in lifelong learning,
- a knowledge of contemporary issues, and
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern hardware and software tools necessary for computer engineering practice.
- Laboratories and Centers
- Technical Reports